Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Blackberries, Blackberries, and More Blackberries!

I love berries! Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, boysenberries, and blackberries. This seems to be the summer of blackberries for our family. It all started about a month ago with my desire to make jam. It was my first time to can, and I was afraid of traditional canning methods, but I heard that freezer jam was pretty much fool-proof. I thought I'd give it a try.
We went to the Edmond Farmer's Market, and looked for berries to fulfill my jam-making desires. We found strawberries and blackberries. Once we had the berries at home, I commenced with the jam-making. It really is super simple. It's called "freezer jam" because it's stored in the freezer--NOT on the pantry shelf. It tastes more like fresh fruit because you don't cook the fruit!

I used about 4 cups of blackberries (I made a separate batch the same way with the strawberries), a lemon, 1 1/2 cups sugar, and a box of this:
1) Stir sugar and contents of package in a bowl into well blended.
2) Add berries and lemon zest. Stir 3 minutes.
3) Ladle jam into jars. I used ziplock twist lid containers, and they worked perfectly.

Both the blackberry and strawberry jams are delicious! One month later, and this is all of the jam I have left:

Yummy!

Last Thursday, John and I took Cohen to a blackberry farm to pick more blackberries. I don't think I've picked berries since I was 10, when I picked blueberries with my cousins in Canada.

I really want Cohen to grow up being connected to the food he eats. I figured picking berries is a good start.


We ended up with 4 pounds of blackberries. As we left the farm, the farmer gave us a pamphlet with recipes and general blackberry information. Like the fact that blackberries will remain good up to 2 days in your refrigerator.

Wait a minute - 2 DAYS?!?!?! We can't eat 4 pounds of blackberries in TWO DAYS!

So, it was off to the internet to try to find suitable ways to use up my blackberries. I ended up with four uses.

1) Eat them straight out of the carton (washed thoroughly, of course - do you know my husband?)

2) Freeze them



3) Blackberry Popsicles (recipe)







4) Blackberry Fruit Leather (recipe)


I think that I have fulfilled my blackberry needs for the summer. However, I have read about a pick your own peach orchard in the area...

2 comments:

  1. Where did you find the freezer jam fruit pectin? I've been looking for a good alternative to the pricey natural stuff in the grocery store and clearly making it myself is the obvious choice. I've never see this stuff you used though. I've heard you can just use Knox gelatin, but I haven't looked into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cohen is so handsome! How fun to pick your own fruit! I have to find a place around here to do that. The popsicles look delicious!

    ReplyDelete