Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Homemade Laundry Detergent


When I first started thinking about trying to make my own homemade products, I scoured the internet looking for cleaning products that I could make at home. It seemed to me like laundry detergent would be the easiest place to start, so I found a bunch of "recipes" from various sites, read about what worked for people, and what didn't for others. I compiled this research into my own recipe.

Ingredients:

Castille Soap - I buy this at a local grocery store called Crest for 99 cents a bar. I've also seen it at Akins for much more.


Borax - I have also found this at Crest. I don't remember how much is costs, but I think it's under $3.00 a box.



Washing Soda - I had never heard of this before I started looking for laundry detergent recipes. This is not baking soda, although I think they are chemically similar.

To make the soap, grate 1 bar of soap into a container. Some sites recommended using a food processor, but since I didn't feel like dirtying mine, I just used a handheld grater. It only took a minute or so. Mix in 2 cups of borax and 2 cups of washing soda. Put cover on container and shake until well incorporated.



I use 1/8 of a cup per load of laundry, and love that I know exactly what is in my detergent. I taped a label right on the container, so I never had to worry about forgetting or losing the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment