Tuesday, July 13, 2010

S'mores Part I: The Graham Cracker

This actually started from a desire to feed my son good snack food. The fact that it has become the base for the best s'mores ever is a bonus. More on the s'mores later, I promise.

After my (sort of) success making cheese crackers, I thought I'd try a sweeter cracker. He loves graham crackers, but like most processed food, it has HFCS in it, along with all sorts of other undesirable ingredients.

I remembered that I had seen a show on the food network a while ago on how to make graham crackers, so I did a little search and found Alton Brown's recipe for graham crackers. The recipe calls for graham flour. A simple internet search revealed that graham flour is just whole wheat flour. The flour that I found was just labeled as whole wheat, but on the back was printed the story of graham flour.


The other sort of strange ingredient was aluminum free baking powder. I was almost out of baking powder anyways, so I went to the store and picked up this brand, which is pretty widely available.


Luckily, I have a kitchen scale, as Alton tends to give dry measurements in ounces rather than cups. I measured out the flours, baking soda, brown sugar (I used light brown), salt, and cinnamon.


I threw it in my food processor along with the butter. I processed it until the butter was evenly distributed.


I added milk, honey (the recipe calls for molases, but I'm not a big fan of the flavor of molasses, and I knew honey would taste delicious), and vanilla and processed for about a minute. At this point, it holds together in a ball. I pressed the dough into a disk and wrapped it in plastic wrap to put in the fridge for 30 minutes.


After chilling, I rolled the dough out between 2 pieces of parchment paper. I rolled it super thin. Probably about 1/8 of an inch. I didn't want the crackers to be chewy, but crispy.


After rolling, I cut it into about 2 inch squares using a pizza cutter, then pricked each cracker with a fork.


This recipe made a little over 2 pans of graham crackers. The recipe says to bake for 25 minutes, but maybe I rolled them too thin, because mine were ready before 15 minutes. I cut through them again right after they came out of the oven, because I was afraid that they woulnd't break apart. After about 10 minutes, I was able to break them into perfect little squares.


Perfect little yummy squares.

Perfect little yummy bases for s'mores. But more on that later.

3 comments:

  1. Why did you need aluminum free baking powder?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you've ever experienced a bitter, "tinny" flavor when biting into a muffin or baked good, that's because of the baking powder used—and often the overuse of it. Aluminum free baking powder can be used completely interchangably with "regular" baking powder, and only costs pennies more per container.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huh, never even heard of it before...

    ReplyDelete