Thursday, July 8, 2010

This one's for my Dad

Apparently my dad reads my blog. He called me the other day and made a request: he wanted me to make Lorna Doone Cookies. Since we're going to meet my parents in Branson this Sunday, I thought I'd give it a try.
A quick Google let me know that they're a type of shortbread cookie. I haven't had them in quite a while, so I decided to just find a shortbread recipe that looked good and see what I came up with. I decided on the simplest type of shortbread, which only has 3 ingredients: flour, sugar, and butter (but you could possibly count butter as 2 ingredients, since it calls for an entire pound of butter!). The only decision that I had to make was whether to use white or brown sugar. I thought that brown sugar would add a nice richness, so I gathered my ingredients:


I creamed 2 cups of butter with 1 cup packed brown sugar, scraping down the sides as necessary.


Next, I added 4 1/2 cups of flour, about 1 cup at a time, and beat until light and fluffy. At this point, I dumped about 1/3 of the mixture on some parchment paper and rolled to about 1/2 inch thickness. I cut the scraps away with a pizza cutter and cut the dough into about 1 by 3 inch rectangles.


I poked each rectangle with a fork,

and put them in the oven for about 20 minutes. At this point, they were almost done, but I could tell that they were going to stick together, so I used the pizza cutter again to re-cut the rectangles and put them back in the oven for 5 more minutes.

For my second batch, I thought I'd try separating the rectangles before baking. This was way more trouble than it was worth. I also differed the fork pattern, just for variety.


I was not quite as accurate with my sizing of the cookies on this batch. The little ones burned a little, and the big ones were slightly underdone.

I'm not sure if they're Lorna Doones ( I'll have to wait until dad tries them to see if they fit the bill), but they are really delicious!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sweetie Pie! Lorna Doones may now be Lorna Dones! You sure have the keys to your dad's heart, and my taste buds are itching to sink into one of these beauties. Mom says she's bringing the remaining Lorna Doones to Branson --- I hope she plans on downing them all. Can't wait until Sunday! Love you, Dad

    ReplyDelete