Saturday, July 10, 2010

PB & J!

I did a post a while ago about how I made strawberry and blackberry freezer jam. I thought I'd follow it up with my homemade peanut butter recipe.

Let me start by saying that this is NOTHING like Jif, Skippy, or Peter Pan peanut butter. Is much more like the natural peanut butters that you can find at places like Whole Foods. Some of the major brands are also starting to make more natural peanut butter. Before I started making my own, this had been our standard peanut butter for about a year:

If you're not up to making your own (but trust me, it's easy), I would recommend this one. The only ingredients are peanuts and salt, and it is quite yummy.

But, if you are willing to roll up your sleeves for about 3 minutes, you can make your own for much cheaper. Plus, I like to add just a little sweetener to mine. Sometimes its honey, but this time, we had just a little leftover (real, of course) maple syrup. Delish!

I adapted my recipe from Alton Brown's recipe from www.foodnetwork.com.

I bought plain, raw Spanish peanuts. I tried using the ones in the canister, like Planter's, but they have oil and salt already added, and when I roasted them they burnt really fast. I imagine that you could use already roasted peanuts and just skip to the food processor step. I haven't tried, though . I found the raw Spanish peanuts near the nuts for baking, rather than the snack food aisle.

Dump the peanuts onto a cookie sheet. The first time I did this, I peeled the red skin off the peanuts. It took FOREVER, and made a huge mess. This time, I just left them on, and didn't have a problem. Roast the peanuts in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes or so.

Let the peanuts cool (I left them for several hours, but I think maybe 3o minutes would suffice). Dump them into a food processor, along with about 1-2 teaspoons salt (this is for about 16 ounces of peanuts). Turn on the food processor and drizzle in some oil. Alton says to use peanut oil, but you only need about 2 tablespoons, and I didn't feel like buying a whole container of oil just for peanut butter, so I used canola oil. I'm sure that any vegetable oil would work. Once it's the consistency you like, stop.

This will never be super creamy peanut butter (like Jif). It will always have just a little peanut texture to it, but we like it that way.

At this point, you can add sweetener. Like I said before, I've used honey and maple syrup, and if John would let me have it in the house (he hates the taste!?!), I would try agave nectar. Run the food processor for a few more seconds to incorporate, and dump it in your container of choice.

The first time I made it, I was worried that Cohen wouldn't eat it, so I just washed out our old Smucker's jar and put some of it in there. Since then, I just put it in whatever container I have clean.

Try it! I'm sure that you'll love it, especially in a PB&J sandwich made with your own freezer jam!

2 comments:

  1. ooh, I can't wait to try this! What made you use specifically Spanish peanuts? I've seen several different raw peanuts in the bulk section at Whole Foods - would any of them work? Do they give different flavors? My mom just gave me her old food processor and I am giddy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mouth is watering for your P B&J sandwich!

    ReplyDelete